Thursday, August 20, 2009

Singapore Toy, Games & Comic Convention 2009

Sunday, 16th Aug, 2009 ~ Here it comes again, The Singapore Toy, Games & Comic Convention! This is the second year it was held as a combined event. Last year, it was just toy & comic. Before that, each of the different category was held as an event individually. In any case, I'm going to attend! xD
On Sunday afternoon, arrived at SunTec City where the convention was being held. As it was a Sunday & most locals take that as a family day, it was more crowded than usual, but wasn't as crowded as last year anyway.
Usually, whenever I attend such event, I'm in my normal going out clothes. This time, I went as a Japanese CatSchoolGirl. =P

Singapore Toy, Games & Comic Convention 2009


Without lingering, we went straight into the convention hall. Booths selling toys are everywhere, small operators & big name companies. In between them are designs, comics & games stalls. I didn't paid much attention to those anyway. I'm more interested in the toys than games or comics.

Small toy booths

Big toy companies



And what's a toy show without Bandai?

The Bandai Booth


Then again, what's Bandai without Gundam? xD

Serious Gundam & Cute Gundam =P


Of all the comic booths there, only one caught my attention. Why? Brian Bolland, creator of Wonder Woman, Judge Dredd & TankGirl was there signing autograph! At first, I dunno who Brian Bolland is & I'm not into comic, but I know who is Wonder Woman & Judge Dredd. I didn't have anything for the famous artist to sign. Thought of asking him to sign on my arm just for the fun of it, but the queue was a little too long. xD

Brian Bolland autograph signing session


Even though I have no interest in comics, there are also some other artists at the convention whom caught my attention with their arts.

Artists at work


Now, lets get on with the toys & displays! =P
Some I'm familiar with, but mostly not. So don't ask me what they are coz I'm clueless as well. I just like to admire or play with them. xD

Mr. Monopoly, Ugly Dolls & Pervert Dolls?!? =P

A wonderful display of Big Eyes Dolls



Came across some which intrigued me, but I dunno what's their names.

Some Intriguing Toys

Playmobil's Egyptian & Unknown Heroine


Soft Toys? Did you said 'soft toys' I love only certain soft toys! =P

Pikachu! Tiger & Lion, Unknown & PuffyFish! xD


Then come the super heros, heroines & villains to save or destroy!

Terminator, 1 of my favorite movie & Batman

Too many to name & I dunno many of them! =P

HellBoy, Spartan, Predator & Alien

What? And a Barbarian screaming "Simply Toys!" =P



Aha! At last! I came across something which I'm more familiar with...

Full size helmets of Star Wars characters

X-Wing & Light Sabers



Many of the toys don't fancy me, but I simply love their posters! xD

Good CatGirl or Bad CatGirl? =P

Transformed into a CatGirl! Hahaha... xD

Hot Rocking Pretties!



During my wandering, I got bitten by 2 rabid rabbits! To get my revenge on them, I joined the G-Force & kicked their butts! Take That! xD

Rabid Rabbits & G-Force


And who could help, but not pose with some of the costumers there? I'm a cam-hog, remember? LOL! =P

Game Girls & a baker with fake breads! xD

Some of my favorites are Star Wars characters!


One of the places with lots of awesome costumes were at the Movie Mania's booth. They are the local producer of many fantastic sci-fi movies costumes & props. Movie Mania is also the co-organizer of this convention. Some of their members are my friends & as I'm a member of their online forum, I visited them to show support for their event.

@Movie Mania's booth with 1 of their display, Ironman

Karma Riders! The tallest 1 is Reno, founder of Movie Mania

MM's Wolverine & I love Bumble Bee! xD


Some of those nice people at Movie Mania are Tim & Eugene who posed with me in their costume. Tim as Master Chief exchanged his weapon for my candy & Eugene as Storm Shadow stole my candy! Threatened a chop chop with a katana to make him give it back! LOL! xD

Master Candy Chief & Storm Candy-stealing Shadow =P


At the convention, there was also a cos-play contest going on. An array of cos-players got on stage to do their stunt before the judges. As I'm not much into anime, I dunno many of the characters portrayed. Still, some of those contestants put up quite an impressive performance.

Cos-play Contest

Individual category contestants on stage

Some gorgeous costumes & even a Pikachu! xD

Team category's effort


Finally, it's time to judge the winners. It's not easy as many of the contestants really had very elaborate costume & some with outstanding performance.

A line-up of cos-play contestants & the judges


And the winners were...
Freedom Gundam took the the 1st prize.
Queen character from Blood Trinity walks away with the 2nd prize.
Dragonball bounced off with the 3rd prize.

Freedom Gundam, Queen from Blood Trinity & Dragonball



In my opinion, Freedom Gundam deserved the win. That remarkable costume must had weighs a ton & cost the owner a bomb! He couldn't even walk it up onto the stage! The Freedom Gundam was immensely popular with the crowd. You could hear the roar of approval even he was below the stage. The attention he got was amazing!
Speaking of which, the event organizers had set up an area with either black or white backdrop for photoshoot of cosplayers. I think it's a great idea! Attention seekers can pose to their heart content. I had my fair share too. =P

Photoshoots & me too! LOL! xD


And I was also filmed by klik.tv, the official coverage of the convention.

My 2 seconds of fame @ 2:42 by klik.tv =P


After all those sexcitement, I'm feeling hungry & we went for a Japanese dinner. My favorite food to complete a fabulous day!

CatGirl Loves Japanese Food! xD

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Friday, August 21, 2009 1:07:00 AM, Anonymous Keith said...

What a whopping big blog entry. I like the casual way you said "This time, I went as a Japanese CatSchoolGirl". Yep, that sounds very Hengbok-like. No further explanation required! Those ears look so natural on you too. Maybe you were a kitty in a former life?

But hey, you forgot to mention that you were wearing a kitty tail! So cute! In most of your photos it doesn't show and I don't think I noticed it until your 'Game Girls' shot, though it can also be seen peeking out in a few other shots and during your two seconds of fame in the movie. Actually I time that as only about 1.68 seconds of fame, but ok that's still not bad for someone your size. :P When you were having your photo taken by that horde of photographers, I bet some of them must have asked you to turn around to give a pose with the tail. Like "Hey girlie, can you play with your tail for us?". Girls with tails are quite sexciting indeed! I wonder if you had to take it off to be able to sit down for your Japanese meal. I hope you were able to keep it on. A CatGirl is hardly properly dressed without her tail!

Aside from the ears and tail, another thing that caught my eye was the picture of you with Master Chief, in which you'd stolen his assault rifle. Look at the size of that thing - almost too big for you to hold! If only the game had a Hengbok sidekick character following me about and blasting the covies, I'd probably play Halo even more than I do already! She'd be quite a sassy thing, always keen to go in with guns blazing, and she'd cry out amusing things when shooting up the enemy, like "Have some of this you stinky aliens!" and "You don't wanna mess with me big-boy!". Oh, and the game would also give you an option to choose her outfit, and we could download extra ones too. How fabulous that would be. Yep, I definitely want a special Hengbok edition.

You look so cute with PuffyFish. Giving him a little nibble on your lollipop are you? What a kind kitty. It looks quite yummy. Must have been hard for you to walk around with it all day without eating it. Oh - and I just noticed that you gave your lollipop to Master Chief to hold - ha ha, so funny. He doesn't look too impressed if you ask me. Somehow I think you got the better part of that swap!

Too many other lovely photos for me to comment on here Nikita, so I guess I'll just wait for them on Flickr. Looks like you had a great time cam-hogging though, and I look forward to seeing the pics in larger size. On Flickr you mentioned not feeling so good lately, so I hope you're better soon. Or at least feeling good enough to get to work uploading your pics to Flickr, ha ha! Selfish meanie, that's me. :)

 
At Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:24:00 AM, Blogger letes77 said...

Niki, first of all, your obviously very well with that cat suit Asian school, second, I love when you go to these places and take photos of Star Wars, I love watching all those suits, and I especially liked the exhibition of lightsabers. Thanks for sharing those moments with all your friends. A kiss for you. Carlos from Chile

 
At Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Here in Fortaleza(Brasil)we have one event like this SANA was in july.
http://img2.orkut.com/images/milieu/1248081416/1248106758131/16273161/of/Z1qgwdv8.jpg?sig=e20skq

Ribamar Queiroz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home